New Timeline for Facebook Pages
Posted on March 1st, 2012
As expected Facebook have just launched their new format for Facebook Pages. Similar to your new personal profiles, your business page is moving to the timeline format.
Here’s the basics on the new Timeline for Pages (but your old pages are still working fine right now):
FACEBOOK PAGE TIMELINE:
- Timeline will automatically come to pages on March 30th. You can publish earlier if you wish (details below).
- Default landing tabs are going away – Timeline will be the default (what people see when they first come to your page)
- Tab Width has been dramatically increased to 810px wide (instead of the previous 520px)
- Ability to ‘Pin’ your top tabs – to do this hover over, then click the pencil icon to pin a specific tab to the top
- Fan Page now have a MESSAGE FEATURE – there is a Timeline manager area on your Page to access this
- You can add a Timeline COVER IMAGE now if desired (see *Note below)
- There is a preview stage where you can see it but the public can’t!*NOTE: Cover photo can be up to 850px by 315px but may NOT contain the following:
- Price or purchase information, such as “50% off” or “Download it at our website”.
- Contact information, such as web address, email, mailing address or other information intended for your Page’s About section.
- References to user interface elements, such as Like or Share, or any other Facebook site features.
- Calls to action, such as “Get it now” or “Tell your friends”.
I recommend that you investigate the new changes and get your images ready but don’t rush into the change. I’ll be playing with the new format over the coming weeks and uploading videos here on how to maximise Timeline for Pages – especially with regard to the cover image.
Here’s the Official document from Facebook thanks to TechCrunch: